The resort's name is derived from the radical Celtic word morga (or murgo) which means limit, and dates back to the Celtic era in the 6th century, when the Pas de Morgins formed the border between the Nantuates tribe in the Chablais and the Allobroges tribe in Savoie.
Hydro therapy was all the rage, and the presence of ferrous water in Morgins led to the first wave of health tourists to the area in 1820, and the construction of the first hotel in 1845.
A passable road replaced the cart path up to the resort in 1870 enabling the development of the village.
Two world wars brought a change in the way people spent their leisure time, and the resort modified its approach to attract a new clientele and increase the number of visitors to Morgins in addition to area's existing chalet owners.
In 1947, the Corbeau chairlift, the first in Morgins was built. The heated outdoor swimming pool was installed in 1961, the same year in which Morgins became the first Swiss ski resort in the Portes du Soleil to have a direct link with a French ski resort: Châtel.
Morgins became permanently linked to the rest of the Portes du Soleil ski area with the completion of the chairlift installatons in Champoussin in 1978.